Board of Director positions
To serve on the Board of Directors, a candidate must:
- Contribute a significant financial gift or in-kind contribution.
- Be a paid-up member of CMSS and purchase a minimum of one season subscription per year. [At the annual meeting held in the spring, the membership dues are determined for the following year. For many years dues have remained at $25.]
- Commit to serve a term of office of three years, beginning at the annual meeting in the year elected.
- Attend monthly board meetings which are usually held on a Monday evening.
- Agree to fulfill the responsibilities delineated in one of the positions listed below or an equivalent position.
- Determine that CMSS is following bylaws and parliamentary procedures.
- Review bylaws for annual amendments.
- Review contracts as necessary.
- Notify board members of board meetings; maintain attendance records; if a pattern of absence is noted, Secretary will determine if member intends to remain on board
- Maintain and distribute list of board members along with their contact information
- Keep a record of all actions; take and distribute minutes
- Reply to correspondence; write letters on behalf of CMSS including thank you notes for contributions
- Notify CMSS “members” of annual / special meetings
- Collect CMSS mail from post office box; distribute in a timely fashion
- Maintain database list and provide changes to contractor
- Review telephone messages and return calls as necessary
- Change taped phone message after each concert
- Order stationery as needed
- Fill ticket orders
- Create or cause to be created annual program brochure, concert programs, tickets, advertising copy
- Act as liaison to community arts groups
Grant applications and compliance
- Work with fundraiser to determine which grants should be solicited.
- Compile materials necessary for grant applications.
- Supervise compliance with terms of grants awarded.
- Distribute concert information for all media calendars; write and distribute press releases
- Network with media, find and fulfill any additional media requests
- Work with music director to develop marketable themes for annual program
- Coordinate the design and placement of all advertising, (from print to radio)
- Ensure CMSS visibility through directory listings, swaps, etc.
- Supervise maintenance of the CMSS member/subscriber database
- Create and send out notifications of upcoming events and news
- Perform market research to determine how best to gain new audience
- Sell ad space in CMSS programs; arrange for swaps; follow up on delivery of copy prior to each program
- Find additional corporate sponsorships
- Work with grant writer to secure additional grants
Programs and Concerts
- Prior to season contact Java City and Upper Crust to confirm their annual contributions
- Prior to each concert, remind Java City and Upper Crust and arrange for pickup or delivery
- Arrange for box office staffing, ticket collection, program distribution, refreshment set-up and clean-up, purchase of paper goods as necessary
- Make arrangements with venue for presence of stagehand and give instructions
- Develop and supervise adherence to annual budget
- Maintain or supervise the maintenance of all financial records
- Provide cash for change for concert ticket purchases at box office
- Manage CMSS’s investments
- File tax reports
- Prior to the annual meeting, compile an annual “membership” list and provide to the Administrator, the Secretary and the Historian
- Provide monthly financial statements
- Pay bills in a timely fashion
- Prepare payroll for concerts, pay workers compensation, ASCAP fees
- Make deposits
- Update annual Secretary of State forms and other legal forms as needed
- Create and present annual report
- Maintain historical records, including reviews and concert programs
- Maintain an index of compositions performed and dates of performance
- Maintain catalog of artists’ photographs
- Maintain copies of concert recordings
- Research the repertoire for each concert and write program notes; a strong background in music is helpful for this position
The Board of Directors of the Chamber Music Society of Sacramento is a working board. Our musicians are paid professionals and the music director receives a small stipend for the work involved in program development and staffing the concerts. Most other tasks are performed on a volunteer basis. The board's active involvement keeps the ticket cost at an affordable level. The board consists of up to 11 public voting members, 2 musician members, and the music director.